In this exciting two-day workshop, local textile artist Ellen Russell, will introduce you to the wonderful world of tufting - a textile process whereby yarns are pushed through fabric with a motorized tool to create a rug effect. Students will learn the basics of how to use a tufting gun and create their own textile artwork in the form of a mini rug or wall hanging (60x60cm).
Day 1 will give an in depth understanding of the materials and the design process, as well as lots of time to practice and get comfortable handling a tufting gun. At the end of the first day students will have begun tufting their designs, ready to continue the following day. Day 2 will be spent completing the artwork and carrying out the appropriate finishing techniques. All the materials needed will be provided and included in the price.
25th and 26th April (12 hours) £195 – Max 6 Students
Saturday / 10:30 -4:30
· What is tufting? Initial demo + examples of work
· What do you need? Understanding materials
· How do you use the gun? + Safety briefing
· Your turn – time to experiment!
(12:30 – 1:00 lunch)
· Understanding the design process
· Sketching designs on paper
· 1:1 feedback and refinement
· Stretch new fabric and draw on design (maximum 60x60cm)
· Begin tufting design
Sunday /10-3pm (4.30 if you finish and want to try punch needling)
· Pick up where you left off
· Continued support from tutor
(12:30 – 1:00 lunch)
· Complete tufting around 2pm
· Finishing techniques demo
· Finish pieces (glue gunning & backing felt)
· Celebrate outcomes and evaluate experience
No experience necessary, suitable for all levels.
Students should come with design ideas and imagery (printed or digital). The simpler the better – this is a short introductory course! For those who do not feel confident with designing, inspiration and stencils will be provided to get you started. If you have any queries, feel free to contact Ellen – email@example.com.
* Lunch is not provided - Northdown Road has plenty of delicious cafes such as Cliffs, Ouma’s Kitchen, Skinny Dip or K.G. Winters.
Cancellation Policy: Bookings are non-refundable. In exceptional circumstances there may be the opportunity to rebook onto a future workshop, subject to availability.
About the artist
Ellen Tufts Studio is an independent tufting and textile design studio founded by Ellen Russell. Ellen specialises in creating joyful and tactile textile art pieces for both domestic and commercial interior spaces. Whether it be crafting mini wall hangings to add colour and texture to a room or constructing large scale immersive installations to transport an audience, she takes the same playful approach.
Since graduating with a first-class honour’s degree from University of the Arts London, Ellen now lives and works in her hometown Margate, where she designs and makes each unique piece from her small but sunny studio. Ellen has five years of art and textile design experience and a further two years of tufting experience and is thrilled to finally be able to offer workshops where she can share this knowledge and passion with others.